The Attributes of God – Part 6
Sovereignty - As seen thru the lens of
Calvinism and Arminianism
I Tim. 6:14-15
I charge you to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
which God will bring about in his own time - God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
The LORD has established his throne in heaven, and His kingdom rules over all.
For dominion belongs to the LORD
and he rules over the nations.
At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised
my eyes toward heaven,
and my sanity was restored.
Then I praised the Most High;
I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
His dominion is an eternal dominion;
his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
God reigns over the nations;
God is seated on his holy throne.
The nobles of the nations assemble
as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings of the earth belong to God;
he is greatly exalted.
How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to
"Your God reigns!"
Debate: Calvinism - 5 Points (TULIP)
(T U L I P) - Point 1
T- total depravity:
Because He is spiritually dead to God
“in trespasses and in sins”
He is incapable of responding to the gospel, though able to make other moral choices
(T U L I P) - Point 2
U – Unconditional
What God decides on no basis whatsoever but by the mystery of His will to save some, called the elect, and to allow all others to go to Hell even though He could save them all if He so “WOULD”
(T U L I P) - Point 3
L – Limited Atonement:
That these elect are the only ones for whom Christ died in payment of the penalty for their sins and that His death is efficacious for no others.
(T U L I P) - Point 4
I – stands for
That God is able to cause whomsoever He will to respond to the gospel, that without this enabling no one could do so, and that he only provides this irresistible Grace to the elect and damns the rest
(T U L I P) - Point 5
P – Perseverance of
That God will not allow any of the elect to lose the Salvation which He has sovereignty given them.
ARMINIANISM - 5 Points
· God from eternity past determined to save all who believe in Jesus Christ and to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath.
· Christ died for and obtained redemption and forgiveness of sins for all, but these benefits are effective only for those who believe in Christ.
· Man cannot think, will not do anything truly good, and that includes saving faith but must be born again
· That God’s Grace is absolutely essential for salvation, but it may be resisted
· That those who are truly saved through faith in Christ are empowered by the Holy Spirit to resist sin: but whether they could fall away from the faith must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scripture, before we ourselves can teach it with full persuasion.